Thursday, August 5, 2010

Casper

Around 1995, I decided I would like to go class racing, and begin looking at Stock Eliminator in both NHRA and IHRA sanctions.  I had all the original parts and pieces from the Cherry Bomb.  I was trying to run the Fastest Street Car shootouts over in NMCA, NSCA, and some outlaw classes with the Cherry Bomb, but logistics prevented us from the long travels needed to run the classes.   The fields had gotten extremely fast too, and we had just about reached the limit on the Cherry Bomb, so she was parked for awhile...and Casper was born.  I had purchased Casper as a parts car, and she sat on a fence row at the back of the property for years.  We pulled her out, sandblasted and primered the car, built the 327 and Powerglide from the original Cherry Bomb, and were in business.  After some white with purple stripes, we struck off to run Stock Eliminator in I/SA class.







We ran both NHRA and IHRA National and Divisional races with Casper in I/SA trim.  This was a 275hp 327cubic inch engine with a Powerglide combination.  We had the hard running Malibu running under the IHRA Pure Stock record by two tenths, when we wounded the engine.  We had already planned to replace the bullet, so in went our 325hp 327 ci engine, backed by a four speed manual transmission.  This is the combination in the car today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment